Wednesday, November 25, 2009

You Get to be the Brother

Levi knows that there is talk about him having a brother or sister in the future. This morning he told me that he wanted a brother AND a sister AND a baby. Well, that probably won't be happening unless God's plans are completely different than mine. However, I told him that he would get to be a brother.

Suddenly he was crying. When I asked him what was wrong he told me that he didn't want to be a brother. He said that he wanted to be the daddy. Everything I said didn't pacify him for about 5 minutes. I told him he would be a brother like Kaden is a brother to Jack. Nope, that wasn't good enough. I told him that he would be the big brother. Nope. I just had to let him cry it out. I did explain to him that he would hopefully get to be a daddy some day, but he had to be a man like Uncle Matt or Uncle Joel. Honestly, the whole conversation was quite comical and took my completely by surprise.

We have talked many times about different kinds of families, some have a mommy and a daddy, some have a mommy, some have a daddy, and then there was that one family in a book that had a daddy and two mommies. That was a little tricky to explain and kind of funny. There are just so many kinds of families. I think part of my son's heart was thinking that if he was the daddy and I was the mommy, we would be the mommy and daddy kind of family. I know that part of him longs for that and will in the future, and sometimes I do too. Yet, we are blessed to be a part of a group of single adoptive moms, so Levi will see that our kind of family is out there, even though we are slightly outnumbered by other kinds of families.

The newest member of our family in the far future is going to bless us. We will be ready to be the mommy and brother, but I may need to have a few more conversations about this before Levi is going to be content being the brother.

No comments: