Monday, August 16, 2010

Sleep

Today I would like to tackle the sleep issue. It is one that I feel good about; I feel like I mostly got this right from the very beginning. I don't feel this way about everything.

It helped that it was just my son and I. I didn't have any other children to tuck into bed. I could rest when my son did.

First, I'll talk about night time. The first 2-3 weeks, he slept in my bed. We would do the bedtime routine, pajamas, teeth, read books, and then I would rock him. Usually I would rock him to sleep, and I know that everyone might not agree with this, but I rocked him for well over a year for every nap and every bedtime, and when I was at work, my mom would rock him. I loved it; I miss it. Anyway, once he was asleep in my bed, I would try to sleep too, but I would often end up on the couch. He awoke often. I went to comfort him every time, every night. I never let him cry it out; I don't agree with that method with adopted children.

After a few weeks, he was sleeping more soundly, so I would put him in his crib at night, and I would sleep on a twin mattress next to him. He would often glance at me to make sure I was there. Sometimes he would fall asleep holding my hand. It was sweet. It was tiring. I remember the first blessed night we both slept the whole night in our own beds. Heavenly.

Naptimes were much harder. My son would usually fall asleep as I rocked him, but once in his crib, he would wake up crying so many times. His cries were of a scared little boy. Each time I would get him and rock him back to sleep. I can't even remember how long it took for him to finally sleep through naps. If he had an exceptionally busy day he would wake up more during nap time.

3 comments:

Mandy said...

Oh my gosh...yes, the naptimes were the hardest for us too. I really appreciated your words of encouragement during that time! It helped me see that there would be a light at the end of the tunnel. I think it took us at least two months to get a solid one hour nap without waking up in the middle. Hard times...

Beth said...

Eden does pretty well sleeping, but almost always wakes up once screaming about an hour after I put her to bed. It completely breaks my heart. She isn't ever really awake, but I can't even imagine what's going on in her little heart. I rock her to sleep every night, every nap, and every time she wakes up. It won't be forever, and I've missed so much of her life, I love it!!

Terri Norris said...

Wow - I was so totally there. I always rocked my son to sleep. From the start I had veteran mothers telling me to put him down and take advantage of the fact that he would fall asleep on his own. I kept telling them that they had months to rock their babies to sleep and I was making up for lost time. Eventually, I just said "Don't worry, he'll stop before he goes to college". He is slowly stopping on his own now (he is 3 now) and every night he doesn't want me to rock him to sleep I miss him so much!